Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Last year I decided that I needed to revisit the research I've done on my husband's family. I just know (hope) I've missed something. But I had to have some way to see what I had.

I didn't want a regular research log format. I wanted a chronology/research log/these are the documents I found log. I really wanted this form to function as an overview of what I have; kind of a one stop shop. My brain likes everything in one place.

Shannon Thomas has published some nifty Evernote templates and I started playing with them. Thank you Shannon for permission to modify and post the new form.

A note of caution. This is not a form to print and take with you. It takes 6 pages to print this person in landscape mode. I think it's better to add Evernote to your phone or tablet and use it as a reminder. Because of this, I decided not to include source citations on this page. I build them in Legacy Family Tree and Evidentia and then add the citation to the image's metadata. 

I start by adding all the documents I have about the person. In August's case, it's not much.



I think August Bidde is the first husband of the second wife of Ernst Trogg. Ernst may or may not be my husband's great-grandfather. Confused? Me too. That's why I need a form.


  • The ID # is the MRIN-RIN assigned by Legacy Family Tree. I added the link to Ancestry to make it easier to jump to his page. So far I haven't found him on FamilySearch.
  • The bold red font serves as a nudge to let me know I have work to do. 
  • I have no conclusion. This person is a mystery and will probably always be one.
  • The alternate spellings section reminds me of all the different ways people have managed to mangle a name.

This next section is pretty much all I know about August. He immigrated in 1874 (maybe), married, fathered two children and died. August wasn't here long enough to leave much of a paper trail. But I still hope.


As you can see, every scrap of information I have goes on the sheet. Once I start a sheet for each of his children, I'll link them in the children's section.


My file ID is the name I assigned to a document in my filing system. It's easy to link to the Evernote copy. The "?" means I'm not sure the document is really about my guy. If I prove it I'll change to "!". The "other things to look for" section can be expanded as I think of new sources. 





Finally, I set up a master index note for each line I'm searching. The index is the first note in the notebook and lets me jump right to research plan. I also added the links to Ancestry and Family Search to the link, but that's probably overkill. 


6 comments:

  1. Great template! I can see how this would be very helpful when you want to see "where you are" with certain research problems. I'm impressed that you constructed this in Evernote! I can't even figure out how to keep the cells in the table from resizing! Anyway, it looks to be very helpful. Do you platoon making it available by sharing? That would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try this link and let me know if it doesn't work.
      https://www.evernote.com/pub/treetracker46/sharedworksheets

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Mary. The link worked fine. I look forward to using this!

      Delete
  2. I love the way that you are using Evernote. I just downloaded the free PC version of Evernote. I clicked on the link above and see the worksheet, but I don't know how to get it into my brand spanking new notebook!! Could you help me figure this out? TIA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all you have to do is copy it to your notebook. I pretty new at this myself and stumble around a lot. If that doesn't work email me and I will send you a link. My email is my name (one word) and I am at gmail.

      Delete