Monday, January 19, 2015

School days


Senior year in high school is a special time with special memories. One particular day is still with me after 51 years.

It was a school day pretty much like any other when the senior class carpooled to the University of Hawaii. I knew the nuns thought it was pretty important since I don 't remember taking another field trip the entire time I attended Sacred Heart Academy in Honolulu.

It was special, all right. The University was hosting a  Civil Rights Week symposium and it was 1964. The featured speaker was the Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr., named Time Magazine's "Man of the Year" a few months before.

I can't tell you anything about his speech. I remember the man; his commanding presence, his simple message. I knew I was a part of history and I knew he had changed my life.

It was a special day.

Photo credit: Gage Skidmore, https://www.flickr.com/photos/gageskidmore/8555476950/

No comments:

Post a Comment